Wednesday, February 26, 2014

WORK WITH JIM ROSE CIRCUS?


The word is out that I am going to work with a couple of bands this year. I've received some messages from artists asking to be considered. Please know that I can't be spread too thin so I have already selected the bands I want to work with and am in the process of sending emails to them directly. In all I will be sending out about 15 emails. Bands break up all the time or are in different phases of careers but I'm sure about 15 emails is all I will need to send out to narrow down to a couple of right fits.
I chose these bands because of their amazing talent and the type of music my friends in the  bizz are looking for this year.
I exchange emails all the time and have helped answer questions for a lot of people since my DIY marketing video was released and I will continue to be friendly like that, but it doesn't mean that everyone is the right fit for this special project I'm doing for a couple of bands this year. If you didn't get a direct email from me don't fret. Maybe we can work together next year or something.
So that there isn't any confusion this is the email I sent to the bands I'm interested in:
"Let's start off by getting on the same page so we can begin to answer each other's questions.
1) The music biz has changed a lot in the last few years. A career's fuse used to be lit by a record industry signing. Now they are fourth on the food chain because their revenue streams have dried up. The chain goes in this order: Big Agent, PR, Promoters, etc.
Now in 2014 the big agents are in charge of (touring, sponsorships, soundtrack work, etc, etc.) One thing to be careful about with the less experienced managers is that they try to push agents to the point of tarnishing your reputation. Bands can be guilty of this as well. The music business has less than 400 people who control careers. If there is friction everyone hears about it. This isn't an issue with all managers. I am just putting it out there.
2) Lower level agents can't get you high exposure tours.
3) Big agents are the only avenue in this era. They can put you in front of a lot of people opening for one of the known bands that they represent, or festivals etc. .  On another note, pay to play is a rip off. A big agent will never put you in that position.
I would appreciate it if you would also review these points:
1) You must be 20 years of age or older and out of school.
2) Will you put in the effort to make things happen? 
3) No one can have work,or domestic requirements that would keep you all from going out to do shows for a couple of months at a time. If you do, this will not work.
4) You are in charge of your own funds. The tours you are sent on are designed to make you good money. You need to have a couple of hundred dollars saved. You are in charge of paying for your first tank of gas etc. :)
5) I serve as an evaluator. The fee I charge is not funded by you. My job is to line you up with the right team. The way to do it these days is to be represented by one of the top players in the industry. I receive a fee after I have assembled the team, paid by them. Real agents have a full plate. They just don't have the time to find the artists. 

It's important that we are the right fit. If I goof up and propose mediocre talent, flakes or bands that are hard to get along with then the window gets closed. Let's be professionals. If we set up meetings then everyone must be on time.

I've researched and have found that your exposure and media coverage needs to be pumped up a bit to attract the bigger entertainment entities. Don't worry I used to own a PR company and I will show you how to DIY the press. I will help you do it with confidentiality. I have no interest in taking any credit for what we do together.
Again please know that you or a combination of your band members need to have a good work ethic to make this all happen. 
For approximately 5-8 weeks your band will need to be sending press release emails out. Sending these emails to push you as artists will require about 10 hours of time a week. If that is too much of a commitment we shouldn't go further at this point.

If you do have the time to help me push your band, then the next step is to have your entire band read this email and watch this video.  
Remember this video was made to show people how much you can get away with using light hearted media tricks. This doesn't mean that you have to follow the same path. There are many ways to get a relevant press pop: charities, political issues, etc.
Doing good community events can get as much publicity as controversy. Again the reason I did this video as part of a charity event was to show people that they don't have to fear the media.

The next step, after everyone in the band has watched the video and has read this proposal here, we will set up a Skype meeting with all band members present so we can see each other. Shoot me back an email with the day and time the band usually gets together so that I can compare it with my schedule and see what works for both of us. If you don't have Skype it's an easy set up and only takes about three minutes to download the app. 
I believe in you and think we can make magic together to get you out on stadium, arena or big festival shows across the country.
Thanks,
Jim
Skype contact: jimrosecircus

#jimrose
#jimrosecircus