Monday, February 10, 2014

THANK YOU DAVID BOWIE FOR YOUR KINDNESS TO ME




A few years back I got a phone call from David (we have been social friends for 20 years) and he said "Jim, I'm doing a show in your city in 2 months. Please come, I have a surprise for you." 

The date arrived and I went to the show. I was greeted by the tour manager who took me to the side of the stage where there was a couch and speakers in place for premium sound quality. This was really unusual because David rarely lets people watch his show from side stage.

The concert began and I was the only one on the couch. The third song of the set was "Scary Monsters" and he turned and sang it directly to me. Half way through the song the curtains opened wider to expose me to the audience while he was still singing. When the song was over he said : "Jim Rose, come give me a hug" and opened his arms. I walked to center stage, we hugged and then he said to the audience: "Jim and I have been friends for a long time and I want you all to know and appreciate how much he has done for art over the last few decades with the shows he produces. Every one give him a big hand."
We hugged again and I waived to the audience and walked back to the couch. The curtains closed just a little and the audience could no longer see me and the concert went on.

After the show we were hanging out and I thanked him for the kind gesture. His reply: "It's your home town and you deserve it. Thanks for being a friend all these years."